Pages

Monday 6 December 2010

St. Bride's SketchUp

St. Bride's SketchUp - east & north wall

Just a quick update with progress on my modelling of St. Bride's in 3D. It's going well, I've started to pull out some more of the sculptural elements of the brickwork. When you strip away the textures of the brick, emerges is a complex set of shapes and line. There's a indulgent austerity about the building. Gillespie, Kidd & Coia were certainly creating a new language for the church.

Once the model is complete the plan is to light it in Maya. From there I would like to video-map the lit church onto an object of similar dimensions (i.e. a box) and experiment with changing light on the 3D surface. The quality of light, as I've said previously, was a very important building concern for modernist architects - more so on the interior. Eventually, with the interior of the church constructed in 3D I can begin to explore notions of quality of light within the space, and how successful or unsuccessful Gillespie, Kidd & Coia were in accomplishing this.

St. Bride's SketchUp - detailing on north wall

I've been tied up most of the past week with my a research presentation for one of my Masters modules. I will update as soon as I figure out how to get the presentation from Keynote online.

Update: Below is a link to the presentation on iWork.com, which allows it to be viewed with the need for Keynote.

http://public.iwork.com/document/?a=p130467451&d=James_Bell_-_MSc_Media_Art_-_Reasearch_Presentation_FINAL.key

No comments:

Post a Comment